Radiation protection specialist on INF-transports
The course enables the participant to better understand the safety concerns surrounding the transport of INF-material and to make informed decisions based on the knowledge obtained.
Participants for this course are primarily personnel on-board INF-transports who must be capable of assuming the role of radiation protection specialist.
The course content covers the following subjects:
- radioactivity and radiation, including fission and activation products
- the interactions between ionising radiation and matter
- dose; units and relevant quantities
- radiation protections, including dose limits
- applications for ionising radiation
- natural radiation
- measurement of ionising radiation; equipment, dose rate, contamination
- exercises in the use of measurement equipment
- personal dosimetry
Relevant transport regulations, including:
- national regulations
- the latest version of IAEA’s “Regulations for the safe transport of radioactive material”
- relevant chapters of the IMDG Code, especially provisions concerning transport operations
- fissile substances, criticality, criticality safety index (CSI) and heat production, including regulations and counter measures
- the INF code, the INF vessel and the INF certificate (International Certificate of Fitness for the Carriage of INF Cargo)
- the IAEA’s “Radiation Protection Programme for the Transport of Radioactive Material”
The course enables the participant to better understand the safety concerns surrounding the transport of INF material and to make informed decisions based on the knowledge obtained during the course.
It makes the participant capable of performing dose measurements, performing simple dose calculations, making decisions based on doses and basic knowledge of the radioactive cargo and handling some aspects of the administration surrounding INF cargos.
The course is carried out in 3 days.
The course is held in the following languages:
If you wish to have the course held in other languages feel free to contact the course administrator.