Corrosion & materials
A prerequisite for safe operation is the understanding of how materials perform under certain operating conditions. We provide a variety of corrosion and material related services.
Corrosion management is therefore essential in order to maintain the integrity of the facility. To achieve full control, all relevant data must be used, including data on process and production, corrosion and erosion as well as inspection and maintenance.
The key to success is related to the complete management of all data available, achieving corrosion control and ensuring focus on high-risk items.
- Material selection and verification
- Corrosion management
- Corrosion monitoring
- Corrosion modelling and assessment
Material selection & verificationWe provide material selection and verification as part of ensuring the technical integrity of installations throughout their service life, at a low cost. We can assist during both design of new installations, as well as during modifications and life extension studies.
Years of experience within material selection and corrosion evaluations for the oil and gas industry ensure robust material selection based on a high competence within materials and degradation mechanisms.
Our experience and knowhow covers:
- Corrosion assessments (including corrosion rate calculations)
- Erosion evaluations (including erosion rate calculations)
- Pros and cons with the use of different materials (e.g. performance limitations for specific materials)
- Standards, specifications and recommended practices
- Corrosive environments in oil and gas production facilities
- Impact of likely and possible changes to operating conditions
- Long-term performance of materials in oil and gas production facilities Corrosion mitigation methods
Corrosion management is a dynamic approach where we control and monitor an asset’s technical integrity related to material degradation such as corrosion, erosion, cracks and fatigue. It is a part of the overall management system, and is described in a Corrosion Management Strategy.
A corrosion management strategy aims to define roles and responsibilities and ensure ownership, ensure focus on high risk system and identify barriers and Key Performance Indicators (KPI).
Four steps of a continuous cycle:
- Planning: A detailed plan is established based on results from a risk assessment, and includes inspection, monitoring and mitigation programs.
- Implementation: Implementation of defined and planned activities and programmes as well as identifying KPIs in order to measure critical parameters, and to ensure corrosion control.
- Measure: Measure and evaluate KPIs and data from inspection activities as well as monitoring and mitigation activities, and prepare status reports and improvements. We collect, compare and present data through a corrosion management information system.
- Improve: Review the effectiveness of the corrosion management programs, and improve the corrosion management activities and take necessary actions.
FORCE Technology, together with our sub-suppliers, offer a comprehensive range of corrosion monitoring services, applicable to any biomass and waste facility. Our services are built on years of experience from both servicing and manufacturing of corrosion monitoring equipment.
- Installation/replacement/maintenance of probes and coupons
- Corrosion monitoring support systems to analyse and present corrosion status and trends
- Management of the necessary operations for the installation/replacement of monitoring equipment in onshore/offshore installations
- Collection, analysis and presentation of biological contents to control Microbiologically Induced Corrosion (MIC)
Enabling you to:
- Be aware of corrosion status in all monitored systems at any given time
- Predict and prevent leaks and failures due to corrosion
- Reduce maintenance cost by performing proactive actions
- Receive valuable feedback on chemical treatments and other corrosion mitigation actions
- Minimise unplanned downtime, thus enhancing profit
- More accurately predict asset/system remaining useful life
…thereby reducing risk and increasing asset and personnel safety
Corrosion assessment and modelling
Corrosion performance sets the premises for material selection for new installations. In addition, there is a demand for evaluation of corrosion and other degradation mechanisms to ensure further operation as a consequence of process modifications, life extensions and incidents. Corrosion assessments are also an integrated part of material degradation risk assessments or risk based inspection where corrosion performance under various conditions is essential.
When appropriate, recommendations for corrosion control and mitigating actions are given. In-depth knowledge of degradation mechanisms and extensive field experience are the foundation of our corrosion evaluations.
Corrosion assessments are the foundation for:
- Material selection
- Degradation risk assessments (RBI)
- Failure investigations
The assessment covers both internal and external environment, and include; fluid characteristics, content of CO2, H2S, and O2, water chemistry, production chemicals and bacterial activity. Operating conditions, environmental exposure and insulation are also evaluated.
We prefer to use models for degradation rate predictions. However, good models are only available for certain environments. Under more complex conditions, in-depth knowledge on material performance, field experience and literature surveys are basis for our analyses.
Recognised models are used for CO2 corrosion (e.g. NORSOK M-506) and exposure to H2S containing environment (ISO 15156). From years of experience, we have developed in-house models for galvanic corrosion, H2S and O2 corrosion as well as MIC (microbial induced corrosion). Our software tool, CorPos-AD, which is used for corrosion predictions in pipeline, includes all these models.
In order to evaluate corrosion resistant alloys for seawater applications, we utilise our understanding of electrochemistry and material characteristics.
Consultancy and Expertise
We offer detailed knowledge and expertise, tailored to your specific needs. With us on the task, you can feel confident in having a dedicated and experienced team of people on your side. In addition, our specialists within areas ranging from material technology, integrity management to monitoring, structural integrity and inspection, make us a preferred supplier and partner in the offshore industry.
Do not hesitate to contact us if you would like to receive more information, or if you have any questions or inquiries regarding our corrosion and material services to the biomass and waste ondustry.
Cathodic protection services
We provide a wide range of cathodic protection (CP) services and solutions that prevent and control corrosion as a part...
Non-destructive testing (NDT)
NDT inspection is fundamental in ensuring the safety of assets for personnel, environment and investors.
Surface treatment & coatings
Whether you are in the planning process, or you need an assessment or verification, we can assist and advise.
Inspection and maintenance management
Comply with health, safety and environmental requirements by establishing excellent routines for inspection and...