8 facts about cathodic protection of stainless steels
We've gathered some interesting facts about the cathodic protection of stainless steels.
23 November 2017
Elevated seawater temperatures are likely to induce severe corrosion in stainless steels, especially with chlorinated seawater. However, Resistor controlled Cathodic Protection (RCP) prevents the internal corrosion of stainless steels in seawater cooling systems, produced water systems and desalination systems.
Facts on CP of stainless steels using RCP:
- RCP is based on Zinc galvanic anodes with resistors that forces the potential to become more positive than the native anode potential to reduce current density and at the same time secure protection
- RCP enables low current densities, allowing for significantly extended protection ranges from individual anodes as well as a longer anode life
- RCP anodes are easily installed, halt corrosion immediately and extend the service life of existing piping systems, heat exchangers, pumps and other stainless steel and yellow alloy components
- RCP enables you to improve the first-time investment costs (CAPEX) with the addition of a smaller replacement cost during the operational phase and allow for the use of inexpensive, low alloyed, stainless steels as an alternative to more expensive alternatives
- RCP expands the operating window (temperature range, chlorine level) for stainless steels in seawater systems without any corrosion risk
- RCP can also be used to prevent galvanic corrosion in couplings between materials and corrosion of various highly alloyed steel components in sea water systems
- RCP anodes protect piping and components such as pumps, valves, deluge skids, strainers and heat exchangers made from stainless steel
- RCP design is carried out by numerical simulation by element method, where the complete system to be protected is integrated in one model. The results from the simulation provide optimal anode distribution, current density distribution, anode consumption, anode life and resistor values
Please contact us for more information!