Marine corrosion in offshore constructions
Offshore installations operate in harsh marine environment, but since the lack of accessibility makes repair and maintenance of the structures costly - it is crucial to choose the most suitable materials and protection in the initial design.
The course is relevant for engineers and technicians involved in handling materials in marine environment with special focus of offshore constructions. It will be beneficial to have a general knowledge of materials and chemistry, but no specific background knowledge is required.
The following topics will be included:
- Introduction to corrosion basics - theory, types and mechanisms.
- Corrosion in marine zones - atmospheric, splash, immersed and sediment.
- Stability of typically applied metallic materials - steel, stainless steel, aluminium, copper alloys.
- Design-related corrosion types: Galvanic corrosion, crevice corrosion, corrosion at welds.
- Mechanically affected corrosion types: Stress Corrosion cracking, corrosion fatigue, wear and flow effects.
- Microbially influenced corrosion and accelerated low water corrosion.
- Hydrogen-related degradation.
- Cathodic protection basics.
- Corrosion protection by coatings.
- Corrosion control by design.
- Better life expectancy estimation by inspection and monitoring.
The life expectancy of offshore constructions is not a static value as e.g. changing environmental conditions, production variations, new installations on existing structures, safety issues or failures may call for an evaluation of the corrosion conditions.
The ageing of existing installations and recent development projects have accentuated the need for updated knowledge of marine corrosion.
FORCE Technology reserves the right to programme changes.
For the complete content, see here
The participants will receive an introduction to corrosion and obtain an overview of corrosion issues encountered in marine media, with special focus on cases from offshore constructions. The main objective is to better understand occurring corrosion attacks, predict risks and avoid future failures.
Please register minimum two weeks before course start.
Maximum number of partipants is limited to 20.
Comments regarding price
If three or more persons from the same company register, a discount of 20 % on the course fee will be granted.
If you are unable to participate you are always welcome to cancel your attendance until 6 days before course start.
By cancellation later than 6 days before course start, the full course fee will be charged.
The course is held in the following languages: