The course offers training of new simulator instructors and/or operators with focus on pedagogical skills, communicative tools and further knowledge of the specific courses.
Goals and objectives
We care about quality learning and therefore offer unique training courses for simulator instructors in order to ensure that the instructors’ professional and communicative skills are up-to-date.
The course aims at increasing knowledge and skills of how to instruct different courses in the best possible way.
In order to cover all aspects of the training program, the course is divided into two parts as follows:
Part 1 – Pedagogical
Through this part of the course, the participants will gain extensive knowledge of pedagogical tools. This pedagogical knowledge is essential to anyone wanting to become a successful trainer. During this part of the course, the participants will learn to:
- Plan and execute training and education
- Evaluate participants individually during and on completion of the training
- Execute debriefing of the participants after simulator sessions
- Assess training efficiency and outcome
This part of the course will develop the participants' knowledge of the adult learning processes - in particular what signifies adults in a learning situation. It will, in particular, concentrate on teaching techniques and the outcome of these. The participants will be trained in how to assume the proper personality when acting as a teacher as well as the psychological mechanism in the teacher-trainee relationship. Furthermore, they will acquire skills within supervision and debriefing, systematic questioning techniques, evaluation and feedback, and communication training. Lastly, they will gain knowledge and skills within the formulation of individual plans of action and post-course development.
Part 2 – Tailor making and implementation of simulator courses
This second part of the Train-the-Trainers course primarily consists of practical exercises where the participants become familiar with defining, designing, planning, and documenting a simulator course – all while keeping the pedagogical principles from part one in mind.
This part of the course consists of three principles:
- Tailor-making of courses (the participants will be able to develop simulator courses including defining aims, objectives, means, and building a lesson plan)
- Tailor-making of exercises (the participants will be trained in designing simulator exercises)
- Supervision and debriefing (the participants will work thoroughly with debriefing of simulator exercises and the different assessment tools available).
The Train-the-Trainers course is designed for present and future marine simulator instructors.
After the course, the participants will be able to:
- Develop pedagogical skills, insight, and communicative tools
- Gain in-depth knowledge of the different courses they are going to instruct
- Train the use of the courseware and tailor-making of exercises
- Gain skills within supervision and debriefing