VTS & Pilot Resource Management Training
Designed for marine pilots and VTS operators utilising two full mission ship simulators and two VTS simulators all interacting during the exercises.
Goals and objectives
Overall learning objectives:
- uniform operational behaviour from all Pilots and VTS operators
- active contribution to establish and take part in the bridge team to strengthen it
- clear communication of goals, intentions and other alternatives during all parts of the voyage
- continuous and active utilisation of the entire bridge team, including VTS, in order to secure the voyage
- continuous utilisation of all relevant information available in order to make the voyage safe
In addition to Bridge Resource Management (BRM) training also Watch Keeping, emergency handling and Search and Rescue (SAR) are included in theory and exercises.
Designed for marine pilots and VTS operators utilizing two full mission ship simulators and two VTS simulators, all interacting during the exercises. Four instructors are assigned to the course. They teach, lead the workshops, monitor the exercises and carry out the debriefings.
Relevant case studies are included and worked through with a BRM frame of reference. The course includes six unique simulator exercises. Each addresses BRM topics from the theoretical lessons. The exercises takes place in a geographic area unknown to the participants but are inspired by real incidents or accidents. All are designed as normal everyday situations with realistic traffic density.
The exercise debriefings are the most important tool for learning. Each team debriefs immediately after termination of the exercise on their bridge or VTS station. The instructor will ask questions in order to guide trough debriefings but the most efficient transfer of knowledge and skills occurs when the participants reach their own conclusions. After the individual team debriefings, a common debriefing is held in the classroom, where matters relevant for all teams are discussed.
The VTS Pilot course is a simulator based Resource Management course that combines theoretical lessons with simulator exercises and extensive debriefings.
The participants will gain knowledge within the aspects of:
- voyage planning
- pilot - master exchange of information and Briefing
- communication with VTS using SMCP (Standard Maritime Communication Phrases)
- bridge teamwork including VTS as an extra tool for safety
- VTS operators monitoring all movements and taking action when needed