Structural health monitoring system for offshore wind turbines
A structural monitoring system for offshore wind turbine foundations provides you with a status of the health and condition of the structure and an early warning of possible flaws.
Condition monitor your structural investment by use of strain gauges, accelerometers and other sensors and avoid expensive repairIf you, as wind turbine owner, investor or operations manager, wish to monitor your investment and offshore structure, the foundation and the rest of the wind turbine should be monitored for e.g. loads, vibration, fatigue stress, temperature and corrosion.
Thus, you ensure that the turbine maintains its functionality, and you avoid tremendous costs regarding repair and retro-fit.
Preventive or planned maintenance is the most frequently applied maintenance strategy within the offshore industry. If you apply this strategy to your offshore wind farm, you may expect that the wind turbines maintain their functionality in the prescribed design life.
However, the wind turbine industry has experienced that this is not always the case. While other parts of the wind turbine often reveal flaws by coincidence, it turns out that it is different in the foundation.
Advantages of structural health monitoring systems:
- Early warning of flaws enables you to act and correct in time, thus avoiding possible serious flaws in the structure.
- Detecting the cause of flaws enables you to prevent future flaws, and avoid flaws in other similar wind turbine foundations.
- Use of data for corrective actions and for optimisation of sub-components and design.
- Online measurements of functionality of the cathodic protection,”CP”.
Condition monitoring contributes to design optimisationThe damage in the structural part of the turbine is often caused by unforeseen loads on the structure or external factors, which, unfortunately in some cases, have entailed very large and costly repairs. A structural health monitoring and warning system in the foundation may have given notice of these serious flaws in time.
Condition monitoring systems can e.g. measure the following:
- Dynamic changes
- Mechanical displacement
- Functionality of ”CP”, cathodic protection
- Erosion of the sea floor, ”Scour”.
Operations data for this often-inaccessible part of the turbine is invaluable for both design optimisation and for the learning process in the conditions, which are applicable on the sea floor and at these areas of the structure.
Customer-specific condition monitoring systemsStructural health monitoring systems are all customer-specific and in cooperation with you, we design and optimise a condition monitoring solution that is adjusted to your needs and wishes for information, and simultaneously agrees with your budget.
Further to the fact that FORCE Technology can design, supply and install unique condition monitoring systems for wind turbine foundations, we can also be of assistance with the subsequent data processing, evaluation, assessment and consultancy to those of our customers who do not hold their own staff of internal specialists.
With our unique structural health monitoring systems and our comprehensive specialist knowhow of materials types, corrosion, fatigue stress and expected life calculations, we will give you the best possible advice.
Contact us to hear how we may help you.
Further reading on structural health monitoring
If you would like to read more about structural health monitoring we can recommend the following links:
Structural health monitoring of offshore wind turbines: A review through the Statistical Pattern Recognition Paradigm
Aspects of structural health and condition monitoring of offshore wind turbines
Offshore Wind industry: Structural Health Monitoring for offshore wind turbine components and ships
Structural health monitoring by Daniel Balageas, Claus-Peter Fritzen, Alfredo Güemes
- Brochure: Wind Energy Services (pdf)
- Brochure: On-line monitoring of sub-structures (pdf)
- Case: Ensures the foundation of the Danish wind turbine industry (pdf)
- Paper: NACE 2015 Corrosion protection of offshore wind foundations c2015 5896 final
- Paper: NACE Corrosion 2016 Monitoring corrosion in wind farms
- Paper: EUROCORR 2014 Durability of coating repair systems for offshore services (pdf)
- Can FORCE Technology support special needs and requirements?FORCE Technology offers services from preliminary studies to design and guidance related to selecting locations of interest applying appropriate sensors and instrumentation to suit individual project requirements to installation of the structural health monitoring system on-site, collating and analysing data and custom reporting.
- Can FORCE Technology support with advisory services for further actions?
Our data is quality controlled and presented to meet the client's requirements. Performance of evaluation of e.g. fatigue life either with reference codes or by means of fracture mechanical calculations are provided.
For further needs FORCE Technology holds inhouse specialists within corrosion, design of cathodic protection systems, material test and analyses and all kinds of NDT inspections.
- I want a single source supplier, but FORCE Technology only offers part of the requirements?
FORCE Technology is working in coorporation with partners around the globe. For various projects we have used local suppliers to be able to provide the best and most efficient structural health condition monitoring solution.
We have built our reputation on the creation of strong relationships with our customers and suppliers, both, and we remain flexible to meet individual requirements.
- Why choose FORCE Technology´s structural health monitoring system?
FORCE Technology holds more than 7 years´ experience in offshore structural monitoring. During this time, FORCE Technology has developed a reliable and robust system, where all equipment and procedures are well tested and fully documented.
FORCE Technology has successfully been involved in many of the largest offshore projects seen in the industry, and we are continuously developing and optimising our system for longer lifetime and faster installation.
Lindoe Component and Structure Testing A/S
Ensures the foundation of the Danish wind turbine industry
Loads are measured on wind turbines on their knees
Strain gauge measurement and analysis of structures
Use of strain gauges may reveal whether your structure is exposed to loads so critical that failure is bound to occur
Cathodic protection of reinforced concrete structures
Cathodic protection reduces costs for future repair work and extends the life expectancy of your concrete structure. We...
Organisation and planning of operation and maintenance procedures
Avoid downtime and unexpected repair by organising and planning your maintenance.